Plants are a great way to add some festive color and holiday cheer to your home. There’s nothing like entering a house and being greeted with the warm, iconic fragrance of pine to get you into the mood for bright celebration. Unless, of course, you’ve got a dog at home — and some of that holiday decor includes poisonous plants for dogs.
Check out this handy infographic of poisonous plants for dogs that come out around the holiday season:
List of poisonous holiday plants for dogs:
- Poinsettia: This red-leafed plant doesn’t actually live up to all the hype — it’s actually only mildly toxic. However, even mild toxicity can be fatal when combined with other conditions. Better safe than sorry.
- Mistletoe: While the mistletoe may be a symbol of merry-making, it’s toxic if swallowed — but not as toxic as once believed. Again — better safe than sorry!
- Holly: Holly berries may be the most attractive to dogs, but the leaves, bark, and seeds are just as poisonous. The effect of holly on dogs is similar to that of caffeine and chocolate.
- Amaryllis: Less common than the other plants on this list, amaryllis causes abdominal pain and convulsions, so keep an eye out for it!
- Pine needles: Probably the least of your concerns here, pine needles may cause harm if swallowed, puncturing intestines or stomach lining. The tree oils might irritate mucous membranes, but just keeping your tree area tidy should prevent any problems.
Signs of poisoning may include:
- Abdominal pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Labored breathing
- Swollen limbs
If you suspect your dog may have been poisoned, please seek immediate medical attention.
Happiest holidays! Here’s wishing you and your loved ones a bright and warm celebration!