Provides 6,645 kcal total – 10 serves, suitable for a 10kg moderately active adult dog
The following diet is based on Strombeck’s Home Prepared Diets for Dogs and Cats. This recipe is ideal for making up a batch of meals for the freezer. It may be necessary to add in a pet multivitamin to ensure your dog’s micro-nutrient needs are being met. Alternatively continue feeding your pet’s usual dry food diet and incorporate a portion of this diet to add variety, for example you could use 50% dry food and 50% home-cooked food. To estimate your dog’s total caloric requirements, a useful calculator is available here. Any diet changes should be made slowly over 7 days to allow your dog time to adjust.
1 kg of lean boneless raw chicken
7 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups frozen peas (thawed)
2 cups grated carrot
2 cups fresh/frozen spinach (thawed)
1 L water
2 tsp. potassium chloride salt substitute
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tbsp. bone meal powder
2 cans sardines in tomato sauce (220g total)
10 cups of cooked white rice
Frypan & large stockpot/saucepan
- Slice chicken and stir-fry in batches, using half the vegetable oil.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a large stockpot and add the vegetables, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the water, salt and bone meal powder and cook on a low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and add the rice and sardines.
- Divide into 10 equal portions and freeze.
- Thaw in the fridge (at less than 40°C), then reheat until hot and steamy.
- Serve at room temperature and discard uneaten food if not consumed within an hour.